PIP claimants may get additional payments worth £4,610 per year – eligibility explained

World News

Coffey questioned on Universal Credit uplift and legacy benefits

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

PIP can help people with some of the extra costs associated with long term physical or mental health conditions or disabilities. To be eligible for PIP, a claimants will need to be aged between 16 and state pension age.

Additionally, they must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where they:

  • Have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months
  • Expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months

Claimants will also need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the three previous years and be living in one of these countries when they apply.

So long as a claimant is eligible for PIP, they’ll receive a payment which could be made up of two elements, a daily living and mobility part.

The daily living part pays either £60 or £89.60 per week.

The mobility part pays £23.70 or £62.55 a week.

Whether a person gets one or both of these payments depends on how severely their condition(s) affects them.

PIP warning: One state benefit may make you ineligible for payments [WARNING]
PIP rates may be affected if certain changes aren’t reported [INSIGHT]
Martin Lewis quizzes Citizens Advice boss on PIP rules

On top of these payments however, claimants may be able to qualify for other financial help.

This can include carer’s allowance or help with housing or transport costs.

For those who get PIP and work, it may be possible to get the disability element of working tax credit.

This could award claimants with an additional £3,220 a year of up to £4,610 if their disability is severe.

To see if one is eligible for this, they will need to contact HMRC for additional information.

To make an initial claim for PIP itself, the DWP will need to be contacted.

Claims for PIP can be made by telephone or textphone.

Additionally, PIP can also be claimed through the post.

Before making a PIP claim, people will need to have the following details ready:

  • Their contact details, for example telephone number
  • Their date of birth
  • Their National Insurance number
  • Their bank or building society account number and sort code
  • Their doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
  • Dates and addresses for any time they’ve spent in a care home or hospital
  • Dates for any time they’ve spent abroad for more than four weeks at a time, and the countries they visited

Following an initial claim, claimants will go through an assessment process and so long as they’re eligible, they’ll then be paid once every four weeks.

Source: Read Full Article