IT'S ONE of the most common office faux pas – sending an email only to quickly realise you've made a mistake.
Fortunately for trigger-happy typers, Microsoft lets you recall messages sent on Outlook in a few easy steps.
1. What is an email recall?
An email recall can stop the recipient from seeing the message that you sent in error.
If you sent the email between Outlook accounts or to another Microsoft account then you’re in luck.
Once a message is recalled the recipient will no longer be able to access the content or any files that were attached.
Read more about tech
Common iPhone trick to upgrade your handset might not be safe, Apple chief warns
Secret Google codes you can type to unlock HIDDEN features and games
However, for you to take advantage of this handy electronic eraser, the recipient must also be an Outlook user or be part of the same organisation.
This means a colleague – or worse, the boss – who also works on a desktop computer with the same Outlook software as you.
2. How to recall an email in Outlook
There are seven simple steps to turn back the clock and snatch back that pesky rogue email.
Most read in Tech
Microsoft warning for all users as hackers spotted using 'unknown' security flaw
iPhone warning – change your settings to save you from huge battery fail
Ring Doorbell warning – THREE huge dangers that could cost you
Billions of Gmail users urged to check app TODAY as Google issues alert
It is important to know that the recipient may still need to open the recalled message first to have the original one disappear.
- Log onto your desktop app and click on the Sent Items folder, find the email you want to recall, and double-click on it.
- Next, click the message tab at the top of the screen on the toolbar, and click on the 'Move' section.
- Then click the 'More Move Actions' button, which looks like a letter and an envelope.
- A drop-down list will appear showing recall this message – click that option.
- A window then appears with two options – delete unread copies of this message, or delete unread copies and replace with a new message. Select whichever option you want.
- If you did choose to send a replacement message, a second window will appear where you can reverse the message.
- Finally, press 'Send' on your revised message. Outlook will also send you a notification that tells you if the recall has been successful or has failed.
3. What do I need to recall an email on Outlook?
To access the message recall option, you will have to be using a computer within your organisation's hub.
This means that Outlook will be a desktop program on either a laptop or computer that allows the user to access emails without logging into the web.
So, if you are looking to delete that embarrassing, incorrect or incomplete email make sure you access the email on your company computer.
Read More on The Sun
The best holiday parks in the UK revealed – does your favourite make the list?
My neighbours keep blocking my driveway even though road is clear – I’m livid
And then follow the simple steps listed above to delete or resend a replacement message.
Now, blow out your cheeks, mop your brow and crack on with your day job.
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to delete your Instagram account
- What does pending mean on Snapchat?
- How to check if you've been blocked on WhatsApp
- How to drop a pin on Google Maps
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How to go live on TikTok
- How to clear the cache on an iPhone
- What is NFT art?
- What is OnlyFans?
- What does Meta mean?
Get all the latest WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and other tech gadget stories here.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com
Source: Read Full Article