Cleaning products you should never mix together – ‘toxic fumes’

World News

Handy tips for cleaning mould in the house

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Deyan Dimitrov, CEO of Laundryheap and cleaning expert, said: “It’s a common misconception that mixing multiple products increases the efficacy when in actual fact it can be downright dangerous.” This includes bleach and vinegar, which are often mixed together when cleaning in the bathroom.

Bleach and vinegar

The expert explained: “Believe it or not, some people have assumed that you should mix bleach in with vinegar when vinegar alone doesn’t remove those tough stains – never do this.

“Bleach mixed with vinegar can produce chlorine gas, which can cause a burning throat, wheezing, a serious chesty cough and other potential health problems. 

“If the stain or fabric damage is so bad you’re considering mixing chemicals, get the piece dry cleaned or call in professional cleaners.”

2. Ammonia and bleach

According to the expert, most household cleaning products contain ammonia, such as oven cleaners, floor cleaners and antibacterial sprays.

Mixing ammonia and bleach to create a stronger cleaning product to target stubborn stains is best avoided, according to Deyan.

He said: “It can produce chloramine vapour which can cause a sore throat, runny nose, watery eyes and chest congestion and other potentially serious health conditions.”

Instead, Britons should stick to using the products separately, making sure the room is well ventilated.

3. Rubbing alcohol and bleach

The cleaning expert continued: “Rubbing alcohol is often used to make services clean and shiny, people use them with a soft cloth on services such as metallic sinks or glass. 

Ideal heating temperature to ‘avoid’ condensation on windows [COMMENT]
Interior design choices which won’t add value to your home [EXPERT]
Six lawn jobs to ‘achieve perfectly green grass’ in winter [EXPLAINER]

“If rubbing alcohol is mixed with bleach it can produce a seriously dangerous chemical called chloroform. 

“Chloroform is a heavy sweet-smelling chemical and can cause damage to the liver and kidneys if inhaled and can actually cause fainting, so please only stick to one cleaning product.”

Deyan also said it is best to avoid layering these products when cleaning around the home. 

He said people unintentionally mix chemicals when mopping the floor with bleach and then follow up with an antibacterial spray.

This is never advised and it is best to stick with one product, preferably bleach for non delicate surfaces, making sure it is diluted.

The expert added: “To make a bleach cleaning spray, dilute two tablespoons of bleach with one litre of water.”

Another popular ingredient to use around the home when cleaning is baking soda, known for its abilities to tackle odours.

While it is a good mild abrasive, it should never be used on mirrors and glass because it will scratch the surface.

Britons should also avoid using it on marble worktops because it may cause erosion to the protective layer on the marble.

The abrasiveness of baking soda can ruin sealants and even cause staining. Instead, opt for a mixture of washing up liquid and water to clean any wood surfaces.

Lastly, it shouldn’t be used on ceramic stove tops as it can scratch away at the surface.

Instead, use dish soap along with a sponge or a dedicated cleaning product to that area.

Source: Read Full Article