Attendance Allowance claimants warned going abroad may affect their payments

World News

Attendance Allowance: Age UK helps man claim benefit

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments are the few benefits that people can claim abroad. However, this is limited to trips lasting for 13 weeks, and going abroad permanently has its own set of complications.

Britons claiming Attendance Allowance can still receive the £61.85 or £92.40, depending on their award, whilst abroad for up to 13 weeks.

If they are going abroad for the purpose of getting medical treatment this can be extended to 26 weeks.

However, regardless of how long they will be away for or their reason for travelling, all claimants must alert the Attendance Allowance helpline to their change of circumstances.

The Attendance Allowance helpline can be contacted over the telephone on 0800 731 0122 or textphone on 0800 731 0317.

Changes of circumstances could greatly alter one’s benefits and for Attendance Allowance these include changes in:

  • The level of help one needs
  • Their condition
  • Name, address or bank details
  • Doctor’s details
  • Immigration status
  • If they go into hospital or a care home
  • If they leave the country for more than four weeks
  • If they go to prison
  • If they want to stop receiving the benefit.

Britons who have had a change of circumstance and do not quickly alert the relevant benefits department could face penalties.

The Government website notes: “You could be taken to court or have to pay a penalty if you give wrong information or do not report a change in your circumstances.”

Additionally, Britons may need to repay the benefit money if it is revealed that they received it due to not reporting the change straight away.

Likewise, benefit recipients who are overpaid by mistake will need to repay the overpayment.

Claimants who claim Attendance Allowance and intend to move to an EEA country or Switzerland permanently may still be able to continue their claim once they leave the UK.

Britons or their family members could still claim benefits they are entitled if they:

  • Work in the UK or pay National Insurance in the UK because of work
  • Have paid enough National Insurance to qualify for contribution-based benefits
  • Get state pension, industrial injuries benefit, contribution-based ESA or bereavement benefits
  • Are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement.

Meeting the criteria will allow Britons to claim the following benefits:

  • The care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Daily living part of Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance.

Source: Read Full Article